I want to offer SIP phone user a “custom fax-to-email” feature. Here is how I would describe this feature:
– for every SIP phone,a custom email address is defined
– when a SIP phone answers an incoming call (from a trunk or another SIP
endpoint), it detects the call is coming from a fax machine and then :
+ it plays a pre-recorded audio file to the receiving user (“You are now receiving a fax call, please check you email box”)
+ while at the same time, the incoming channel is forwarded to an appropriate statement within Asterisk dialplan.
– when an unanswered call is forwarded to a voicemail, the fax call is also detected and teated appropriately.
1. It is possible to play a pre-recorded audio file to the receiving user ?
If positive, how can it be done ?
2. What is the exact purpose of sip.conf faxdetect setting in this case given the assumption “faxdetect is set to yes in general section of sip.conf”. I would say the following applies:
“faxdetect for the incoming channel has no influence at all. If faxdetect is set to yes or unset in the outgoing channel, then Asterisk will jump to fax extension. If faxdetect is set to no in the outgoing channel, then Asterisk will jump to fax extension.”
Do you agree ?
3. Using CLI, is there a way to read the faxdetect parameter value of a given SIP peer ?
To me “sip show peer ” doesn’t (seem to) display this.
4. When I type “fax show settings” in, I’ve got (on an Asterisk 10 box):
CLI> fax show settings FAX For Asterisk Settings:
Status Events: Off
Minimum Bit Rate: 2400
Maximum Bit Rate: 14400
Modem Modulations Allowed: V17,V27,V29
FAX Technology Modules:
Spandsp (Spandsp FAX Driver) Settings:
This last line troubles me a little (did I forget to configure spandsp ?). Should I care ?