BLF And Call Queues

Hello,

I’m trying to monitor a Call Queue with BLF-button to see if there are calls inside the Call Queue.

This I have :

extensions.conf

exten => 566,hint,Queue:voipq1

On the CLI I see :

566@908001-blf : Queue:voipq1 State:Unavailable Watchers 1

But when a call enters my queue “voipq1″, then my BLF-light stays green in stead of turning red or blinking red.

Is there something I’m missing to “monitor” a call queue ?

Kind regards, Jonas.

15 Responses to “BLF And Call Queues”

1. Alec Davis said:

Aug 17, 12 at 8:04 pm

are calls inside the call queue.

Currently asterisk doesn’t support hint’s on queues, unless done externally. See my review ‘Support a hint on a queue’
    which also then allows a call via a BLF button to pickup a call from a queue.

Alec Davis

2. Jonas Kellens said:

Aug 18, 12 at 3:34 am

Alec,

I’ve seen this post. That’s why I thought it was possible. I’m using 1.8.11

What is the difference between this post and asterisk 1.8.11 ?

Kind regards, Jonas.

3. Alec Davis said:

Aug 18, 12 at 5:38 am

The patch hasn’t been accepted by the community, thus isn’t in asterisk trunk or any asterisk branches.

Alec

4. Alec Davis said:

Aug 18, 12 at 5:50 am

Jonas;
    In case you had’t seen it, the patch is available from review board https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/1619/ using the ‘Download Diff’ link at the top right of the review. Or directly form here https://reviewboard.asterisk.org/r/1619/diff/raw/

Alec

5. Jonas Kellens said:

Aug 18, 12 at 9:46 am

Thank you Alec.

is there also some kind of manual on how I can use this “patch” ? I
    don’t want to mess up a perfect running system.

Do you also know why it hasn’t been accepted ? Seems like this functionality is asked for on different forums. Wanting to watch a queue for calls is not that strange.

Kind regards, Jonas.

6. Alec Davis said:

Aug 18, 12 at 6:27 pm

Thank you Alec. If you’re asking how to apply this patch?
    Download patch to your working src directory

Example:
    cd /usr/src/asterisk patch -p0 < download.diff.txt make make install

Not sure why?
    Maybe I didn’t promote it enough. Maybe my examples aren’t simple enough.

Alec

7. Matthew Jordan said:

Aug 18, 12 at 8:17 pm

—– Original Message —

8. Alec Davis said:

Aug 18, 12 at 11:39 pm

The patch works perfectly to see if a person is in a queue. Taking that a little further, picking up the queue only works if an agent is ringing. However, when no agent is ringing, that’s where the pickup will fail. Directed Pickup can only pickup devices that are ringing.

Is this senario a queue issue, or a directed pickup issue? I was unable to decide.

In our use case, it hardly ever happens. The main use for us is the night bell queue, which is a dahdi extension with just a ringer, no handset, so always needs to be picked up.

Alec

9. Jonas Kellens said:

Aug 19, 12 at 6:53 am

In my case, I just want to see if there is a call waiting in a queue. Call pickup I’ve already worked around it (I store information in a MySQL DB to do the pickup).

So I’m just looking on how to make a BLF-button blink or turn red, to show to my customer that there are still calls inside the queue waiting.

Can I only apply on Asterisk 1.8.5 ? Or can I apply to my Asterisk
    1.8.11 also ?

Thanks !

Jonas.

10. Alec Davis said:

Aug 19, 12 at 3:01 pm

It’s 4 lines, plus 2 debug statements.

I haven’t had time to see if it applies clean against 1.8.5. We are running it with 1.8 branch.

Alec

11. Jonas Kellens said:

Aug 20, 12 at 8:00 am

So I can just add these 4 lines to app_queue.c and this will give me the ability to use : exten => 566,hint,Queue:voipq1 ??

Kind regards, Jonas.

12. Alec Davis said:

Aug 20, 12 at 7:24 pm

the ability to use : exten => 566,hint,Queue:voipq1 ??

Yes, then I assume you know that you need to compile etc.
    ./configure
    make menuselect
    make
    make install

Alec

13. Olivier said:

Aug 21, 12 at 12:41 am

2012/8/19 Alec Davis

Hi,

What about Queue logs ? How is a picked-up call logged ?

Giving agents the capability to easily pickup a call, without beeing logged-in, is a big change with both positive and negative side effects. I would be curious to read opinions about that.

14. Lenz Emilitri said:

Sep 25, 12 at 5:54 am

In general I would not use this for a “true” call-center with hundreds of agents, where it is the ACD’s responsibility to route calls to agents and there are strict policies on agent behavior, but I’m sure there are a number of cases where this could be useful (eg small call centers, internal service desks, receptionists, etc…). Just my two cents, l.

2012/8/21 Olivier

15. Alec Davis said:

Sep 25, 12 at 6:26 am

The member that was being tried is recorded in queue_log. Not the device that pickedup the call. This has been queried on issues.asterisk.org with a result of ‘will not fix’.

Picking up a queue can be done without the use of a BLF hint, a ringing phone next to you is another hint. But I agree, in an organisation where the ACD is in total control, the dialplan code shouldn’t exist to allow pickup of a queue.

Queue hints code has now been submitted to asterisk-11-beta2 and trunk.

Alec Davis