Proactive problem monitoring on SIP on Asterisk

Hello,

1) I am wondering what is the best practice to monitor if there are or were
problems with SIP calls on my Asterisk box. E.g. how about a software that
extracts all calls from the /var/log/asterisk/full (I have permanently
enabled verbose 10 and sip debug) log and tells me on which of them were
problems? Checking the logs manually is very hard, but as SIP is a
standardized protocoll, there should be tools doing that for you? As an
example, a person calling me recently got a 488 Not acceptable error as
reply from my Asterisk box. Nothing came through to my SIP phone, so I
didn’t know anything about the call or the problems (which were on his
phone btw). I would like to be informed about such cases, know that there
was a call to my Asterisk box that made problems.

2) How about monitoring speech quality? E.g. sometimes it seems like a
packet is missing (I then have a short pause during the call), how to
monitor such things and create statistics out of this data?

So basically I want to monitor my Asterisk installation proactively for
reliability/problems and (speech) quality.

Thanks for any hints!

Best regards
Stefan

12 Responses to “Proactive problem monitoring on SIP on Asterisk”

1. Tim Nelson said:

Jun 20, 12 at 2:14 pm
  2. Tim Nelson said:

Jun 20, 12 at 2:20 pm
  3. Stefan at WPF said:

Jun 20, 12 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, I noted that too, but besides that it seems like it is exactly what I
    am looking for. I am especially confused that there’s no hint like “hey,
    buy our new product”, just EOL. So let’s say I am looking for an
    alternative to this. And unfortunately I have to add it’s for private use
    and I therefore need a free solution, which probably restricts the
    selection ): Well, anything better than checking logs by hand would be
    already a good start :-)

2012/6/20 Tim Nelson

4. Ishfaq Malik said:

Jun 21, 12 at 3:52 am

I’ve not used this myself but had a look at the site and I think it’s
    pretty much what you’re after…

Ish

5. Marek Cervenka said:

Jun 21, 12 at 6:57 am

Dne 21.6.2012 9:52, Ishfaq Malik napsal(a):

check asterisk testsuite

thereis scenarios for console sip client pjsua(from pjproject) which can
    perform speech quality measurement

marek cervenka

6. Valer Nur said:

Jun 21, 12 at 2:21 pm

You can try PBXMate. It is more of speech improvement software (i.e. noise removal etc.)  but it also gives you speech quality statistics.
    It is not a free tool but I think there is a free evaluation version.

________________________________
    Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 9:25 PM

Yeah, I noted that too, but besides that it seems like it is exactly what I am looking for. I am especially confused that there’s no hint like “hey, buy our new product”, just EOL. So let’s say I am looking for an alternative to this. And unfortunately I have to add it’s for private use and I therefore need a free solution, which probably restricts the selection ): Well, anything better than checking logs by hand would be already a good start :-)

7. Steve Edwards said:

Jun 21, 12 at 6:50 pm

You give up too easily :)

Reverts to ‘free’ version after 30 days.

8. "Jamie A. Stapleton" said:

Jun 22, 12 at 2:58 pm

ADTRAN has some interesting Voice Quality Monitoring built into their switches, routers, etc: http://adtran.com/web/url/vqm

Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 2:05 PM

Hello,

1) I am wondering what is the best practice to monitor if there are or were problems with SIP calls on my Asterisk box. E.g. how about a software that extracts all calls from the /var/log/asterisk/full (I have permanently enabled verbose 10 and sip debug) log and tells me on which of them were problems? Checking the logs manually is very hard, but as SIP is a standardized protocoll, there should be tools doing that for you? As an example, a person calling me recently got a 488 Not acceptable error as reply from my Asterisk box. Nothing came through to my SIP phone, so I didn’t know anything about the call or the problems (which were on his phone btw). I would like to be informed about such cases, know that there was a call to my Asterisk box that made problems.

2) How about monitoring speech quality? E.g. sometimes it seems like a packet is missing (I then have a short pause during the call), how to monitor such things and create statistics out of this data?

So basically I want to monitor my Asterisk installation proactively for reliability/problems and (speech) quality.

Thanks for any hints!

Best regards
    Stefan

9. Eric Wieling said:

Jun 22, 12 at 3:09 pm

We have been quite disappointed by the Adtran VQM. It often shows calls which had audio issues as being close to perfect. It also often shows calls which sound perfect as having significant quality issues.

We don’t allow reinvites so this might be part of the issue. I don’t have a lot more details (I was not involved in trying to diagnose the issue).

10. Administrator TOOTAI said:

Jun 25, 12 at 4:18 am

Le 21/06/2012 09:52, Ishfaq Malik a écrit :

It works well, people are reactive

11. Tim Nelson said:

Aug 29, 12 at 3:05 pm

—– Original Message —

12. Stefan at said:

Aug 30, 12 at 2:38 am

Thank you very much Tim, this looks quite promising! Just sad, that once again one has to compile it instead of provided packages ): But it’s probably worth the work :-)

2012/8/29 Tim Nelson