sip loses registration ?

Home » Asterisk Users » sip loses registration ?
Asterisk Users 1 Comment

We found this morning we had no SIP connection to another site. sip show
registry on the main site gave “no authentication”. sip show peers on
the other site showed the peer unspecified.

The odd part about this: doing sip reload on the main site made it all
work. Nothing else was changed.

Main site:

sip show registry
……..
SFO:5060 N sip_outgoin 105 No
Authentication Sat, 14 Apr 2012 14:48:15
4 SIP registrations.
……….

PBX*CLI> sip reload
Reloading SIP
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip.conf’: == Found
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/users.conf’: == Found
== Using SIP TOS bits 96
== Using SIP CoS mark 3
== Parsing ‘/etc/asterisk/sip_notify.conf’: == Found
== Using SIP RTP TOS bits 184
== Using SIP RTP CoS mark 5

On other site:

sip show peers
…………………….
sip_outgoing/s (Unspecified) D N
0 Unmonitored
……….
13 sip peers [Monitored: 3 online, 7 offline Unmonitored: 2 online, 1
offline]

result of sip reload on main site:

One thought on - sip loses registration ?

  • I have experienced this issue with a provider with Asterisk 1.2, 1.6 & 1.8.

    I never got to the root cause of the problem however it used to occur
    quite frequently, now it appear to occur once every month or two –
    haven’t seen it occur for a while now but then I have been incrementally
    updating my version of asterisk, currently 1.8.11.0

    The preceding events I observed was that there would be a timeout
    communicating with the peer followed by retry attempts and finally a
    message reporting “Wrong password”, this is the point at which
    registration attempts stopped despite the value in sip.conf being set to 0.

    As per your observations a ‘sip reload’ gets things going again.

    When the problem was occurring within a 24-hour period I set up an
    SPA-942 phone to register to the service and captured packets between
    them, I don’t recall seeing any issues over a period of a few days with
    the SPA phone hence was baffled by this phenomenon and have been since.

    I was considering writing a script to check for the “No Authentications”
    status and to then issue a ‘sip reload’ but as the problem is rarely
    seen now I haven’t had to do this.

    My suspicion to the cause of the problem is that the authentication
    database at the VSP may have been offline momentarily hence why the
    response of a wrong password, I wasn’t convinced of this as the packet
    capture of the SPA-942 did not reveal any authentication errors.

    Cheers,

    Larry.