Issue with Polycom SPIP650 and its sidecar

Home » Asterisk Users » Issue with Polycom SPIP650 and its sidecar
Asterisk Users 5 Comments

Hello,

On one location, I’ve got from time to time (let say one a week) the
following issue :
the phone SoundPoint 650 works ok (can call or answer, display and sound
are ok),
the sidecar looses its display : entries on sidecar’s LCD screen are not
displayed anymore, or names are truncated, or BLF are not shown or updated.

I only have one SPIP650 on this system so I can’t compare with others.

What could be the root cause of this ?

Regards

5 thoughts on - Issue with Polycom SPIP650 and its sidecar

  • When the side car looses it entries, what does the config file show for the entries.

    This happened to me one time but that was only because for some reason, the contacts file was deleted by accident and I had to
    recreate it. ( I have a backup now too! )

    It probably as Dan said, check the firmware and get the latest. Make sure your sidecar is pushed down all the way. Possible get a
    new IP650 and see if it exhibits the same behavior.

    I am pretty positive its not asterisk related.

    Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 10:32 AM

    Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 9:27 AM

    Hello,

    On one location, I’ve got from time to time (let say one a week) the following issue :
    the phone SoundPoint 650 works ok (can call or answer, display and sound are ok),
    the sidecar looses its display : entries on sidecar’s LCD screen are not displayed anymore, or names are truncated, or BLF are not
    shown or updated.

    I only have one SPIP650 on this system so I can’t compare with others.

    What could be the root cause of this ?

    Regards

    I doubt it is an Asterisk related issue, but what version of Asterisk is the phone running on? The most likely probabilities as I
    see them are (1) network or power issue (2) hardware problem with the phone (3) provisioning issue with the phone (bad sip.ld or
    such). You could investigate /var/log/asterisk/full to see what kind of call activity occurs around these failures.

  • 2011/11/30 eherr

    I didn’t investigate much in this direction, as in my case, sometimes I
    have several days of operation without any issue.
    So to match the problem you met, the phone should get corrupted config for
    several hours, then correct config for several days, then corrupted config
    again.

    You’re right, I should do that.

    The way a Polycom sidecar is plugged into a phone seems fragile to me.

    I already changed the sidecar once …

    I agree

  • 2011/11/30 Mike

    This info is very interesting.
    I wouldn’t be too surprised that a PoE switch not supplying its theorical
    15W output on a long period.
    I’ll try to use work around this possible cause by not using PoE.

    In any case, I’ll report my findings here.

  • 2011/11/30 Marco Mooijekind

    Yes, that’s what I meant by “not using PoE”.

    Op 30 nov. 2011 18:46 schreef “Olivier” het volgende: