Permanent restart after upgrade

Home » Asterisk Users » Permanent restart after upgrade
Asterisk Users No Comments

On Fri, 2011-06-10 at 05:52 -0400, Steve Totaro wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-06-09 at 16:32 -0700, Steve Edwards wrote:
> >> On Thu, 9 Jun 2011, Hans Witvliet wrote:
> >>
> >> > I went originally from a almost working machine running:
> >> > asterisk180-1.8.3.2-87.1
> >> >
> >> > To a machine that continuously restarts asterisk (+core dumps) running:
> >> > asterisk180-1.8.3-85.2
> >>
> >> Any chance you have a mix of Asterisk and module versions? Was
> >> Zaptel/Dahdi compiled with the proper set of headers for your kernel?
> >>
> >> Can you start Asterisk from the command line instead of the usual startup
> >> script? What do the first couple of errors look like? Capturing the output
> >> via the ‘script’ command will help.
> >>
> >> For example*,
> >>
> >> script foo
> >> sudo /usr/sbin/asterisk -C /etc/asterisk/asterisk.conf
> >> -c -d -d -d -f -g -n -p -q -v -v -v
> >> exit
> >>
> >> Can you turn off auto module loading and start with no modules?
> >>
> >> *) I’m a 1.2 Luddite, so the command line arguments may have changed…
> >>
> > No dahdi/zaptel involved.
> > I’ll be off to work in a while, report back later.
> >
> >
> > hw
> >
>
> It amazes me when people run into a problem but refuse to post logs or
> verbose when you start Asterisk. Nothing meaninful.
>
> I would wager a gentleman’s bet that I can have your system working
> just fine in a half hour or less (unless your bandwidth sucks).
>
> If I do it, then you have to post to the list and you owe me a favor,
> plus, in the future you have to help someone else.
>
> If I don’t, I have to post my failure to the list and I owe you a favor.
>
> I have spare cycles, just let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve Totaro

Hi Steve, thanks for your time and consideration.
Hadn’t a chance to report back, as i just returned from work ;-(

I think i found the reason behind it; a missing file from the update.
As the machine involved is not connected to Internet, each and every
file has to be put on a portable medium, checked, and only then i’m
allowed to put it on our corporate lan.
It turned out, that not all required files were transferred on the
usb-disk, or removed by someone. Anyway it, i copied the missing file
( ../repo/network:/telephony:/asterisk/SLE_11_SP1/x86_64/asterisk180-1.8.4.2-90.1.x86_64.rpm )
manually, updated it again and: voila

So regarding not posting config/log/trace/core’s..
Initially i just put the symptom’s on the list.
Next step would have been any specific log’s or config files.
As you know, any most of the logfiles for *, can be rather long, same
for logfiles.

If you are still interested in it (educational purposes) i can still get
the /var/log/asterisk/messages file, and put the relevant section on the
list….

Bottomline is however, when doing an upgrade, and only some of the
asterisks RPM’s are processed, you get funny results
And what you see on the asterisk console/logfile does not indicate
directly what went wrong.

If i run into a situation, it is mostly that i can not get something
working in the first place, or i made an incorrect change. In those
cases the remedy is obvious.
In this case however, the cause is not PEBKAC or asterisk issue, but
something with the prebuild packages, i’ll guess a missing dependancy,
which allowed some asterisk files to be updated, while not all were
present, resulting into an unstable result.

So, i’ll try to find the person responsible for packaging, and try to
convince that he ahs some work to do.